Appeals court upholds RM300k in general damages to former driller
PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal today upheld the award of RM300,000 in general damages to a former driller over wrongful detention.
A three-man bench chaired by Justice Datuk
Mohd Zawawi Salleh dismissed the appeal brought by the Deputy Home Minister, Minister of Home Affairs, Moral Rehabilitation Centre, Muar, Johor, the Inspector-General of Police and the Government.
The judge ruled that there was no grounds for the appellate court to disturb the findings of the High Court, and he also ordered the appellants to pay RM10,000 costs.
Justices Datuk Vernon Ong Lam Kiat and Datuk Abdul Rahman Sebli were the other two judges on the panel.
On Dec 11 last year, the Kuala Lumpur High Court allowed a lawsuit filed by Ong San Huei and ordered the government to pay him the sum in general damages.
The High Court judge, Datuk Rosnaini Saub, said Ong was wrongfully detained for 355 days from Nov 3, 2008, until his release on Oct 23, 2009, after his writ of habeas corpus was allowed by the Shah Alam High Court.
She said the second detention extension order under Section 11(A)(1)(a)(aa) of the Dangerous Drugs (Special Preventive Measures) Act 1985 was wrong and not in accordance with the law.
Lawyers G. Subramaniam Nair and Ebrina Zubir represented Ong while senior federal counsel Nor Mastura Ayub appeared for the appellants.— Bernama
- Ex-Immigration DG loses appeal
- Court dismisses police, govt appeal to reduce quantum of damages to 5 ex-ISA detainees
- Utusan to pay only RM100k after appeals court reduces quantum of damages due to Ex-PKNS GM
- Govt, police get leave to appeal against RM300,000 for lorry driver
- Court of Appeal sets aside RM300,000 award to Guan Eng